- unhappy with headset provided with voice recognition software: much too small for head, cheap plastic, and a brace on the opposite side of the one ear speaker that dug into my temple at chisel angle. disassembled, removed microphone, positioning arm, and speaker. took another headset from classroom set bought years ago: fully adjustable, thick ear pads, translucent blue plastic, and built for abuse from years of daily children use. gutted the ear speaker from one side of the blue headset, hollowing out the earpiece. used needle nosed pliers to bend off extra plastic of cheap ear speaker, make hole for microphone arm in blue pair, make additional room in blue pair. worked single ear speaker into hollow of blue pair so microphone arm comes perfectly to mouth. reattached ear speaker cover flush and slid back on ear padding. perfect.
- dictation of notebook entries.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
Sunday, March 29, 2009
- burning copies of dvds student plays.
- downloaded software for creation of dvd and cd labels. though used for classroom dvd label, now can be used for ...fence posts rotting in the acreage... cd label.
- uploaded sound files from zoom h4.
- using voice recognition software to transfer material into word processor.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
- designing associative markers to link various sections of ...fence posts rotting in the acreage.... trust two friends who have seen it develop for years, both recently mentioning that they found it difficult to navigate. if those familiar with the methods of creation, the overall structure, and accustomed to highly experimental work cannot make the distance then assured the everyday audience will stymie.
- installed voice recognition software and calibrated.
- entered several dreams into computer with v.r.c.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
- bought voice recognition software. several notebooks and other raw material that takes so much time to put into computer. trouble sleeping last night, thinking of using the program.
Monday, March 23, 2009
- researching voice recognition software. interested in moving large amount of written material into computer efficiently. more time for creation, not handling and housekeeping efforts.
Friday, March 20, 2009
- learning to use video editing software on student play. making plans on using to visualize ...fence posts rotting in the acreage...
- bought materials for making cds/dvds. odd sensation to find the packaging step so easy when all the intermediate steps leading up to that point are a withering struggle. just walking in and buying what is needed.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
- tracked several guitar parts in garage. have played for over a decade and have had several recording setups but now thoroughly enamored with setting up h4 and recording at low levels in garage late at night.
- going through old audio folders, deleting and cleaning up old tracks.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Sunday, March 15, 2009
- on main website www.timcoalman.com: cleaned up a few pages, added links, removed some items I'd grown tired of. uploaded revisions.
- dropped off book and cd on teeple's front stairs. called him later to tell him it was there - said we were lucky it had not started raining (clear night).
Saturday, March 14, 2009
- editing teeple tracks. some dismay that interest and efforts wane easily when it is not my music. surely evidence that I am more musician than any other studio bound roles.
- updating website www.timcoalman.com for links and various clean-ups.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Thursday, March 12, 2009
- tracking with zoom h4 sound kelli suggested should be captured. appreciate her finding the sound and then recognizing the audio library I am piling needs such constant additions.
- (yesterday) researching video editing software. find I already have version on computer that will work well. wonder when such a program was installed.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
- dinner with naquin, gave copy of book and cd to him.
- various efforts to upload new song to myspace page - it is so long I am dithering it away to make it small enough to upload. might end up with 27 minutes of occasional murmurs and pops. finally success late into the night.
- downloaded video editing software for inevitable expansion of ...fence posts rotting in the acreage... discovered it is unworkable.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
- reworked effects on part of book soundtrack part 1.
- burned book soundtrack part 1 and part 2 to three CDs: naquin, teeple, and parents. delivered the one to parents.
- bought heavy-duty 2 hole punch for binding of book. had considered buying another of the three hole I use now and then removing punch to frankenstein one hole puncher that does four holes. decided it was silly undertaking for reasons that are just as silly to list and so found the heavy-duty 2 hole. now no worry as each 1 inch prong paper fastener (with compressors) will be aligned just right. a near fetish moment with the steel construction and level action. see one for yourself here:http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/staplers-hole-punches/desktop-hole-punches/product-ARS24569
- made artifacts to do list with at least 20 items - most completed today.
- reworking myspace page for music and artifact log information.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Thursday, March 5, 2009
- working on book soundtrack part 2.
- wrote two dreams in notebook.
- (yesterday) with majority of jone's track completed, working on arrangement, also adding in a new piece recorded the other night, all mixed with previous tracks. the book soundtrack has 2 main tracks now - the one completed sometime ago and on myspace page at 13 minutes or so and this new one, around 25 minutes or so (two parts of which are also on the myspace page as segments). wanting to complete the second and have both on cd for outing with teeple this weekend.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
- re-recorded sound on h4 that originally was too short and varied too much to be looped or copied and blended to make a longer repitition.
- recorded sound with h4.
- (yesterday) within five minutes of beginning to work on jone's monologue with various signal processors to cleanup tape hiss and other sound quality issues had audio drop out and sonar freeze up. backed-up work but when reopened dialogue box said the project was suddenly incompatible with the version of sonar I was using. pulled copy of the project from external hard drive backup and then imported tracks I had worked on since last back-up (1-27). the audio files could still be retrieved through audio folder even though the project was inaccessible. about one and one half hours to reconstruct the project, leaving that much less time to get work done on it.
Monday, March 2, 2009
- (yesterday) finished edit on jone's track. bounced pieces to one track, around 18 minutes total. complete proof that original sound is paramount and all else is derivative - the poor quality of tape, the conversation over a phone line, and the wild dynamic range (my responses booming through and much of his at tape hiss threshold) all before even beginning the signal processing.